Sunday, December 24, 2017

Happy Holidays and Thank You!

At Market Collective taken by the talented Kevin J Mellis 
I hope wherever you are in the world, you are smiling and WARM. It is approximately minus 1000 degrees in Alberta right now and only getting colder in the next week. I tried to go for a walk today and lasted a full 12 minutes so apparently have officially become a pansy west coaster! I will be spending Christmas here and then off to Saskatchewan to spend the remainder of the season with my Dad at the farm:) 

This market season was a DOOZY. I had 5 markets back to back and have to say that a lot of things went a little wonky along the way! There was freezing rain, delayed parcels, a frozen neck, a never ending cough that may have caused said frozen neck, more delayed parcels, display malfunctions, the forgetting of important components, etc. BUT through it all there were many, many highlights and things that went very RIGHT. 
Some of those highlights consisted of the people that showed up to help along the way when I felt a meltdown was imminent. I had rolled into Edmonton a day later than planned because of various kerfuffles and these friends (one of which I hadn't seen since I was 17 and the other whom I'd never even met til that night!) came to help me get set up the night before Make It started. Note look of extreme relief on my face. 

And the random guy walking his dog past me while I tried to smush my 6 foot wood display in my car (had kept it at my friends' place who were away in Mexico when I arrived to grab it for the show) and went home and came back with ties to help me secure it to the roof of my car!

Not to mention, all the wonderful customers who came to these shows to not only support local artisans but also dole out hugs and share amazing life stories too. 
There are times when I wonder if what I do matters at all. Is all the work really worth it? Am I helping anyone? 
 
But then someone tells you how they bought your "Do Epic Shit" necklace to give to their friend who is a Human Rights Lawyer and wears it whenever she has a big case or customers who come to my booth wearing a piece of jewelry they bought years ago and say its still their fave.

That kinda stuff makes my little heart just plain GLEEFUL!

On top of all this, there are all the vendors I get to work alongside. I've said it once, I'll say it again - they are some of the hardest, most down to earth, kick ass people I know and it is a pleasure to know them all. 
I can't send this out without mentioning these two. My Mom passed away 6 years ago as many of you know and my brother earlier this year. All of us are missing someone and the holidays amplify that void even more. I am going share what I try to practice myself, which is to focus on all the good memories I have of them. When those waves of grief show up, I mourn and allow myself to feel and cry, but I do not let myself get pummelled for too long for I know our loved ones would want us all to live the remainder of our lives with as much joy, ease and love that we can muster.

I also want to mention our cat, Ginger Puff, who lived on the farm with my Dad. We lost him last week and neither of us are looking forward to being there without him. He has been a great comfort to us through our grief and really would have loved if he could have stuck around a little longer, but we are so grateful for the time he spent with us. 
I am sending all my love and A-LOT-TA hugs to everyone. There will be some big changes in the coming year which I will write about soon. Until then, I leave you to your festivities and wish you all a wonderful holiday season and the biggest and BEST wishes for 2018 from myself and my assistant, Sigurd.

No comments: