Thursday, June 18, 2015

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Oh hello June?! You didn't waste any time getting here, did you?! It has been a lovely spring here in Vangroovy and felt much more like summer with no rain and constant streams of sunshine and warmth. We are lapping it up! I haven't had a lot of free time but whenever possible, I sneak on over to Spanish Banks with my friend Kevin and we go skimmin'! There is a beautiful view of the mountains and North/West Vancouver as our backdrop as well as the downtown city line. Seals frolic in the water nearby, bald eagles and blue herons go fishing! Really can't beat it. 

We only have 4 months where the conditions are ample and this year I am really going for it! So far just a sliced toe and a skinned knee:P

Skim boarding with my friend Kevin at Spanish Banks!

I have been making, making and making! Stock for stores and collectives, Etsy orders, custom orders and now stock for upcoming markets. I did show at ArtWorld Expo back at the beginning of May. It was my fourth time there and every year I meet so many talented artists and attendees.

Art World Expo 2015

It is here that I debuted my canvas photo blocks. When I was doing image transfers onto wood, about 10% of the time the image wouldn't transfer properly, leaving the wood block ruined. So I came up with an idea so I could re-use the block and it wouldn't go to waste. I printed images onto canvas, painted the wood block white and then adhered the new canvas prints over the old images. Voila! Canvas photo block!

Seagull, Vanderbilt Beach, Florida

Have also been making some new creations and working with copper pyrite, water tourmaline and gold-filled chain and also making copper cuffs again - where this all began. The first thing I ever stamped was a copper cuff before I went wild and started stamping everything in sight! 

Bevy of new designs at Favourite Gifts in Lonsdale Quay

To the Sea! German silver pendant, sterling silver chain, sea charms and Swarovski crystal starfish


Custom copper cuffs


I went and met my brother and Dad for a visit in Cranbrook last weekend! It was kind of a big deal as we hadn't all seen each other at the same time in four years. I was so grateful to be able to spend that bit of time with them as a family unit and felt like the luckiest girl in the world! There were smiles, there were tears, reminiscing, hugs and a whole LOT of love. And it was so nice to get to see my Dad near Father's Day!

Since farmers aren't really the jewelry wearing types, I made them both key chains instead:)




Car Free on Main Street is this Sunday. One of the most popular summer festivals here in Vancouver hands down. Main Street will be closed to cars from 12-7PM on Broadway all the way to 30th and filled with artisans, bands, food, kid zones and more! I am teaming up with the artisans of Canvas Handmade and we will be set up between 22nd and 23rd Street. 

These are the lovely artists I shall be alongside:

Mindan's Designs
Adhesif Clothing
Yapes Paints: Art by April Lacheur
A Cagey Bee ~ art by Kris G. Brownlee
flight path designs
Ole Originals
Kdon by Kim Cathers
eikcam
Tina Tam
Raven's Rest Studio
Frankenstrap

Desiree Patterson

Click here to see and join event!  



Next up after that is Rev.Local at Heritage Hall on Main Street and 15th from 12-5PM. A one day summer market featuring 30+ BC small businesses, artisans, yogis and musicians. Admission $2 only. Children under 12 Free. Support this "shop local" REVolution!

Join the event here


Then we have Khatsalano on Fourth Ave, Vancouver's largest free music and arts festival, which is always so much fun! Really cool local bands,
a marketplace showcasing Vancouver’s finest artisans, family activities, licensed beer gardens, food trucks and the weather, PERFECTO!

Join the event here.

That's all that I have scheduled for now! But am thinking about a road trip through the Okanagan and onto the Prairies this summer mid-July. My summers seem to just fly by because I am always working but I don't want to miss out this year. After 9 years of living in this beautiful province, I still haven't explored our beautiful interior or any of the islands, save for Vancouver Island and I have some serious itchy feet! 

I love making jewelry. It supports and feeds my belly and my soul but I can't sit at the work bench all day and all night and let life just float on by. Taking pictures and traveling is my first love and I never seem to find the time when I am in Vancouver. So, I am getting the hell out of dodge with my litle Subaru and camera in tow and making it happen.

Hope to see you somewhere out there soon and may you absorb and enjoy every minute of the summer goodness. Climb a tree, wade in the water, swim naked, lie in a hammock for HOURS, be present with nature, hike, walk with no destination, read a trashy novel, do NOTHING, set up a lemonade stand and meet your neighbours, float like a jelly fish, take naps and road trips, eat a whole watermelon by yourself, sit on a patio with your best friend talking for hours...whatever floats your boat! Every summer has its own story, make yours one for the books. I fully intend to do the same!

Vanier Park, Kitsilano, Vancouver









No comments: